Every year, I start working on my Thanksgiving menu – a few weeks before the big day. (Check out my Thanksgiving timeline). While all of my main staples remain the same (I am all for a traditional dinner)….I do play around with the sides just to add something different to the menu. For example, this year – green beans didn’t make the cut…nor did my glazed carrots. I find that I always have way too much leftover so that’s a sign its time for a switch…so I’m replacing those two items with loaded cauliflower casserole and roasted butternut squash.
Below is my menu for this year….I’m including links to the recipes that I use. To note – I always look at 2-3 different recipes of the same item to see how different people make it..and then decide how I want to proceed with a version of my own.
- 1 box of Jiffy cornbread.
- 1 can of creamed corn.
- 1 can of whole kernel corn (drained)
- 1 stick of melted butter.
- 1 small quart of sour cream
- 1/2 tablespoon of sugar.
- 1 egg
- Sweet Potato Pie: I use Patti Labelle’s recipe – but instead of half-and-half…I substitute it with sweet condensed milk. And I don’t make my dough from scratch. No time! Any deep dish pie crust can work. I use Mrs. Smith’s Flaky Pie Crust.
- Carrot Cake: Trying this one out this year…will let you know how it turns out! But it has great reviews.
- Rum Cake: Another Patti Labelle recipe. I didn’t find it online – but it’s in her first cookbook. If I don’t make this rum cake for every holiday – people may try to fight me. And I use Barbancourt Rum as the base.
- Red Velvet cake: I order this from a friend. 1. because it’s so good. 2. I haven’t mastered my version yet!
Would love to hear what’s on your Thanksgiving Dinner menu this year…Share the deets below!
Happy Thanksgiving from my family to yours!